New Zealand is simply covered with film locations in remote places from the majestic heights of the Southern Alps to the rolling green hillocks of ‘Hobbiton’!
Movies filmed in New Zealand include:
- Lord of the Rings of course! The Southern Alps, vast Southern Plains, grassy Waikato and the arid volcanic plateau for Mordor provided all of Middle Earth’s dramatic scenery.
- Narnia used the stunning Cathedral Cove location shown above (image Tourism NZ) as well as Flock Hill in Arthur’s Pass.
- The Last Samurai was filmed near Mount Taranaki.
- Alien Covenant includes scenes from Milford Sound.
- Wolverine used the remote valley named Paradise in the South Island.
- Aptly, Vertical Limit was filmed on Aoraki, our highest mountain.
- The World’s Fastest Indian was filmed on location at Oreti Beach near Invercargill.
- Mostly filmed with a single camera, our home grown epic, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, was filmed in the Waitakere Ranges and the Central Plateau.
- The Piano used the fierce spray covered beaches and ancient forests of West Auckland to depict colonial New Zealand’s remoteness.
- King Kong visited Lyall Bay, and
- Pete’s Dragon used the Mt Victoria location in Wellington.
From tussock plains to volcanoes, forests to wild beaches, hot pools, tropical bays, mountains and cultivated rolling fields, New Zealand crams a lot of beautiful places into a country the size of Britain!
The New Zealand Film Commission lists film locations with forests, jungles, deserts, coastline, mountains and ‘other worldly’ scenery, and point out that international movie makers can capture the opposite seasons to the Northern Hemisphere, and take advantage of locations that could be in Asia, Europe or the USA.
With a small population spread across the length of two narrow islands, all but the last three film locations listed above are in remote areas of New Zealand, to take advantage of the beautiful, varied and dramatic scenery on offer.
That’s where we come in! Marquee hire for film locations
NZ Marquee Hire can provide sturdy, large marquees on location. Our marquees are clean-span which means no central poles and lots of room to work, strategise, store equipment, cook, eat and if need be, sleep!
Our high quality marquees are weatherproof and wind tested to 100km, so they won’t let you down mid-project. They are strong and can be left erected for months on end, or dismantled within hours for moving to a new spot.
Talk to us about long term hire and what your film location requirements are. We can provide main marquees, storage marquees, catering tents, and move these around with you when you shift to new locations.
We also work with excellent power, lighting, heating, catering, furniture hire and event management businesses around New Zealand to ensure that you have everything you need to get the job done.
Our great team will be happy to work through your requirements and make suggestions on marquee set up and combining marquees to create just the format you need.
Get in touch to talk about your project!